Legal Help with Military Divorce in Rhode Island

Newport Area Divorce Lawyer

Military families must deal with all the issues of divorce that other families face, but with several additional burdens. When one – or both – of the spouses is in the Army, Navy or National Guard, the mechanics of getting divorced can be complicated. I can help.

I'm Newport-area divorce lawyer William Balkun . I have 30 years of experience guiding people through the process of divorce. No matter how complicated your case, I can get you through to the other side.

How Divorce for Military Couples Differs from Civilian Divorce

As in all areas of life, your service to the country comes before other things, even a divorce. The Service Members Civil Relief Act can be used by active duty military members to delay divorce proceedings for up to 60 days after leaving active duty.

The military spouse does not have to ask for a delay if he or she wants the divorce to move forward. It is an option.

You will have to choose in which state to file for divorce because several states could have jurisdiction over your case. You can choose to file in the state where you normally reside, the state where the military spouse is temporarily stationed, or the state where the military spouse now resides. This decision could affect the course of your case as the laws regarding property division , alimony and child custody could be different in those states.

Families who moved to Rhode Island to follow an active duty service member may not have a good support system in the state. They may want to move back to their home state and their family once the divorce is finalized so a child custody case may include parent and child relocation.

Child custody and visitation – as well as children's time with extended family – is likely to be affected by a military parent's deployment. So flexibility will need to be factored into the final parenting time agreement.

Schedule a Consultation with a Rhode Island Divorce Attorney

Allow me to guide you through the process of divorce and child custody. Contact The Law Office of William J. Balkun online or call 401-463-5106.

I represent clients throughout Rhode Island including Cranston, Warwick, Providence, East Providence, Johnston, Smithfield, Lincoln, Barrington, East Greenwich, Cumberland, North Providence, North Kingstown, Warren, West Greenwich, North Smithfield, Scituate, Pawtucket, West Warwick, Woonsocket, Glocester, and Tiverton.